What Type of Toothbrush Should I Use?
There are so many kinds of toothbrushes in this day and age! Deciding which kind to purchase can be frustrating and downright confusing! Here are a few things to look out for when purchasing a brand new toothbrush.
- In terms of handles, (non-slip grip or flexible neck), the shape of the head (tapered or rectangular) and the style of bristles (such as flat or trimmed to a dome shape). After taking all these things into consideration you are better able to choose the best toothbrush for you!
- For many(especially with braces) a powered toothbrush is the best option. Powered toothbrushes better enable you to do a better job cleaning teeth. Powered toothbrushes are especially popular with children who may not clean their teeth as well as they should or with people who have limited manual dexterity.
- Soft-bristled toothbrushes are best for removing plaque and debris from your teeth. Small-headed brushes are preferred, as they can better reach all areas of the mouth, including hard-to-reach teeth like molars,
How Often Should I Replace My Toothbrush?
If your toothbrush starts to resemble a scrub brush, it is time to change it. You should replace your toothbrush when it begins to look worn out, or every three months, whichever comes first. We also recommend changing your toothbrush after you have had a cold. We recommend this because your bristles collect germs and you can become reinfected.
What About Toothpaste?
Gingivitis, periodontal disease, mouth sores and bacterial infections can all cause sensitive gums. Gingivitis patients develop swollen, tender and receding gums that can bleed during regular routines such as brushing. Therefore finding the right toothpaste in addition to the right toothbrush is important.
How To Find The Right Toothpaste
Improve your dental health by choosing the best toothpaste for your problematic gums. Specific ingredients to look for in a toothpaste are fluoride and potassium nitrate
- Fluoride- Helps to fight decay, to the extent that many towns add it to drinking water to ensure residents get a sufficient supply.
- Potassium nitrate- This compound isn’t found in regular toothpaste, but if you’re experiencing sensitivity and looking for the best toothpaste for gums.
Newman’s Orthodontics is located in Roslyn Heights, NY. Our Doctors and staff are committed to providing excellent customer service and providing you with the results you deserve.